Sunday, September 9, 2012

Glacier National Park

Mary Logue and I just returned from a rail trip to Glacier NP, where we spent five days of trail walking ("hiking" might be overstating things) without seeing any grizzlies or glaciers. It was a great trip. 

Normally I do not take photos on trips like this--I prefer to let my memories develop a patina all on their own. But this time I brought a camera, and took about a dozen photos. 

Glacier is an enormous park, with spectacular vistas around every bend. I find that I become quickly jaded to such super-size panoramas. The intimate encounters are more rewarding. 


I could look at tree trunks all day.


If these little guys had been fifty yards away with a gorgeous snowy mountain backdrop, I wouldn't have bothered turning on the camera. But they were only fifteen feet from us, and we could see their tiny horns, just beginning to show. Too cute. Their mother is just off to the left, glaring at the stupid effing tourists (us).


Mary likes looking at things close up too, so we were well matched. We hiked to a stunning waterfall one afternoon, and this is what she did most of the time we were there. Meanwhile, I was looking at a water ouzel, one of the few birds capable of walking underwater. Way cool.

Mary looking at wet rocks.
I like rocks too. And lichen. The photo below is now serving as wallpaper on my computer.

My new desktop image!
The only disappointment of the trip was a dearth of mushrooms, due to a recent spell of dry weather. I guess we'll have to go back next year!

1 comment:

Amy Hautman said...

In the Painted Desert my guides showed me spectacular views across miles of desert. I kept stopping them to inspect fascinating little seed pods. I get the close up thing.
Welcome Home.