Here’s how you can become a YouTube sensation, earn extra credit at school, get experience making videos, and maybe even win a fabulous prize!
Make a short video based on Pete Hautman’s novel How to Steal a Car.
Contest is open to individuals or groups, the crazy and the sane. It could be a class project with a cast of hundreds, or just one person looking into a cell phone camera while talking about the book.
Here are some ideas:
Act out a scene from the book.
Offer a commentary about the book.
Do a spoof, like on Saturday Night Live
A photo montage with voiceover
An interview with a character from the book
A puppet show or animation
…it’s up to you!
First Prize: Full set (all ten) of Pete Hautman’s YA books, signed and with illustrations (okay, doodles) by the author
Second Prize: $50.00 gift card to your favorite bookstore
- Video must be at least 60 seconds long, but not more than ten minutes.
- It must be posted on YouTube on or before March 15, 2010.
- It must be about the novel How to Steal a Car (not just a video about car theft).
- It must not contain anything that will get you or me in trouble (no porn, no slander, no bomb-making instructions, etc.)
- The title (How to Steal a Car) and author (Pete Hautman) of the book must be mentioned, and an image of the book cover must appear at some point in the video. This can be at the beginning, the end, or anywhere else in the video (for example, you could show a character reading the book).
When your video has been posted let Pete know via a comment on this blog, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to all qualifying entries will be posted on Pete’s blog. Winner(s) will be announced on April 1, 2010.
First Prize will go to the video that Pete likes best.
Second Prize will go to the video that gets the most YouTube views by March 31, 2010. (Posting your video early and getting your friends to watch it will give you a huge advantage!)
Note: It is possible that one video could be awarded both prizes.